Wordpress copy dev to live website (Duplicator)
- Copy login credentials from both websites (found in wp-config.php)
It's a good idea to keep a copy of
wp-config.php from both your websites somewhere safe. You will use that information for connecting to the database later
- Go to the dev version of your website. And create a backup:
- Duplicator > Create Package
- Follow the instructions (you can skip some of the filter notices and click next)
It's a good idea to change the image filenames anyway (remove spaces and diacritics), but you can do that another time
- You will arrive at a success screen where you are allowed to
One click download, but don't do it (it takes forever)
- Access the live (production) version's filesystem to delete all wordpress related files
It seems like the commands are run synchronously and serially one after the other waiting for completion
- If you use FTP it takes forever for each command to delete each file (or so I believe)
- Prefer using Web FTP Client (there is less latency)
- Connect to your dev FTP and move the archive…zip and installer…php files to the root of your live/production server
If both are on the same server, it will be done in a second, otherwise, download the archive from live server and upload to the dev server
- On your dev server the archive…zip and installer…php files are in
- IMPORTANT : if you are using Wordfence, delete the .user.ini file in the production server as well, it will create errors.
- Go the
... should be replace with all the gibberish numbers and letters in the installer filename
- Press enter and follow the step in the installer
- While installing you will be asked the credentials for the live/production server database.
- You will overwrite any existing content on that database, so proceed with care and backup if necessary.
- Once you are done with the installer, Login to your Wp Admin.
- You should be prompted that the installation files were correctly deleted.
- Anyways make sure the archive…zip and installer…php are not in your hosting root directory anymore
- You are done.
- Every time you make changes, make them on to the dev website, and repeat this process.